Sunday, January 14, 2007

Holiday Happenings

It was a Holiday To Remember: Bus to and from Bali, Flying to and from Melbourne Australia, Meeting friends that I haven't seen for 35 years, and Teaching English to wonderful children at the Children's Home in Kuta, Bali.

After finishing up all the English classes in Malang, an Australian friend, Tim, and I took the 12 hour night mini bus to Bali. It was wonderful to have a companion who knew the way and had contacts in Bali. It was Tm who introduced me to Tina and her special children's home ministry. Plans were made for me to return and teach there for a few days when I returned alone from Australia. What a relief to know 'someone' in Bali and have not only a place to stay but a special ministry:) PTL!!

Tim and I flew on to Australia late that evening and after a couple of hours in customs the next morning, were met by my special friends, Margaret and Lawrence Simpson. It was a grand reunion and I spent many happy days getting to know them again, Melbourne, their delightful daughters, son-in-laws and EIGHT grandchildren (ages 7 - 21). What a great Christmas celebration! They are a jolly group of 16 and the fellowship, food, and frivolity were fabulous. I was most blessed to be added as part of the family. I never dreamed I would be so warmly and graciously received. It was an honor to be with this great family!

On Boxing Day, the 26th, we drove to Fairhaven along the Great Ocean Road and spent a number of memorable days with one of the daughters, Jenny, John, her husband, and their lovely tow heads, Tessa and Johanna. The girls took a week of ocean swimming lessons while I helped a bit with the house work, ran their lovely lab, visited an 'opp' shop, and read. What a lovely time was had by all.

Another highlight was visiting the Healesville Sanctuary where I met personally many of the unique Australian animals. I have many delightful photos of emus, koalas, dingos, kangaroos, platypus, echidnas, a Tasmanian devil, and others to share. However, they won't upload either -- sooo ... not today! But if you e-mail me...:)


I flew back to Bali alone on January 2, having shared a grand New Year's Eve concert with the Simpsons. There I was met by a huge tropical rain and wind storm, but taxied to the children's home without incident. I have wonderful photos of many of the children, but they, too, won't upload. :( (Maybe I can only have two per blog. oh well -- sorry!!) I spent three wonderful days living with and teaching 20 plus children, ages 4 - 18. I had no materials with me -- but it was amazing how creative one can become in such situations. AND I DID KNOW MY SUBJECT :) That is the one and only language (unfortunately) that I do know. Tina was a most gracious hostess and Lord willing, I would love to return and see them all again.

I am now back in Malang - after a 14.5 hours bus ride from Bali, and am waiting for most of my English classes to resume. I am finishing up the first university semester, but the rest, including the second semester university class, m. elementary school, and seminary classes, will resume in a week or two.

I never dreamed I would have a Southern Hemisphere SUMMER Christmas! However, it really wasn't that hot this summer in Australia. It even rained all day on the 25th! That made this Oregonian feel right at home! It was also most welcomed by the locals, since Australia is in the midst of a terrible 4 year drought with devastating bush fires. The rain was a most blessed relief and a wonderful Christmas gift from God.

Thank you for reading this blog and would I love to hear from you! Please feel free to write me at bonniesteinborn2@yahoo.com.

Wishing you a Blessed New Year and May HE WHO CREATED OUR WORLD AND SENT HIS SON, GRANT YOU HIS PEACE AND JOY TODAY AND FOREVER.

bonnie

1 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

Hi Bonnie. It's good to see your post and hear about your adventures. Glad to know you're heathy and happy and doing whatever the Lord calls you to lay your hand to at the moment! Greetings from your Listening Life F/friends in Newberg. K.

6:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home