Sunday, May 06, 2007

May in Malang




April disappeared quickly here in Malang as I was busy teaching many classes, sharing with very special friends and getting to know some more wonderful people. The Indonesians are a lovely people and they have super food:) This photo (sorry it won't upload) was of a typical food vendor selling green persimmons, custard fruit, and sugar cane cubes on little sticks. (maybe next time) Anyway, I am loving every minute of my time here.


However, the climate is still a bit difficult for me. I doubt I will ever get used to the high humidity coupled with the heat. The late October rains finally came with a vengeance in February -- but have stopped last week just as quickly as they came. The past week has been 'rainless' and the ash is once again quickly collecting daily in every nook and cranny:( OH well -- this is the way it is on the volcanic island of JAVA:)


May is bringing a bit slower teaching schedule. Merdeka University has finished for me. I doubled my class load since I am leaving June 13 before the semester ends. The Level Six English students have been a joy to teach and work with. We have baked, toured some of Malang together, worked in class with drama, debate and sharing. I will miss being with them. My TESL classes will also finish this week. It has been a long study but I have learned a great deal and hopefully will find some place in this world to apply my newly acquired English teaching skills.

However, there are many other classes to continue working with - so I won't be bored:) I still am teaching English levels 3, 4/5 at the seminary 4 times a week, the m. elementary school children - grade 4 & 5 three times a week, the Kanjurahan University lectures once a week and working with the kindergarten at Wesley International one day a week.


This is a photo of my two Merdeka English Speaking classes on our last day. What wonderful students:)

With this change in my teaching schedule I am hoping to work in a bit of site-seeing here on Java. There are so many places I would love to visit, but I am afraid that time is against me. However, there just might be a free weekend or two remaining. It will be fun to see what works out and with whom:)

I am both teaching Indonesians to bake cinnamon rolls, crescents, cookies, etc. while also learning from some great cooks how to prepare lovely Indonesian dishes. I love the food here and even becoming a bit of a hot chili pepper addict -- absolutely amazing :). This is something I never expected. However, one can certainly gain an appreciation for the great Indonesian 'spicy' foods. They are delicious. I will miss them terribly when I return to the Northwest. I am sure I will be haunting the nearest Asian markets the first time I get a chance.

I am not sure where and what I will be doing when I return to Newberg in June. China, Taiwan, The Philippines, and even Mozambique are options, plus anywhere else that God might open up. I am just waiting to see where HE will lead next.

My e-mail still remains the same and if you are interested in keeping up with what is going on in my life -- please feel free to write: bonniesteinborn2@yahoo.com or bonniesteinborn@gmail.com. They both work well, but I check the yahoo most often.

Thank you for checking my blog site and I am looking forward to hearing from you:)

Until soon -- from Indonesia or Newberg or 'wherever'
bon

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey!
It is awesome to read about Malang.
Worth a read. Thanks for sharing.
Glad that you wrote it in English.
Keep Sharing.

3:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home